i've been tagged by comfies (real name unknown, she's a sneaky one) to write 7 things about myself that i haven't written here before. this grey weather day seems like a perfect chance for some introspection so let's start off with a biggie:
1. shane and i have been trying to add a wee keating to our family for 5 months now with no success. each month we're getting a bit more disheartened and, let's face it, a little scared. i know, really, that 5 months isn't that long in realistic terms but it feels like our lives are sort of on hold waiting for a positive result and every day that i have my period feels like failure. and the fact that every blog i read and everyone i know seems to be announcing their pregnancy these days is getting me down (not that i'm not incredibly happy for each and every one of you, it just sucks for me.) the fact that it took my mom 4 years to get pregnant with my sister and another 4 years (almost exactly, we're born 4 years and 2 weeks apart) to have me weighs heavily on my nearly 32 year old mind.
2. on a lighter note, in order to stop thinking so much about babies, i've been scheming a bit of a business plan to bring together my hobbies in a way that will hopefully generate some cashflow and keep me happy. i'm not going to spill the full beans here yet but i may have found a way to combine my love of thrifting/antiques, photography and making handmade designs all into one neat package!
3. random fact: i wore (progressively stronger) glasses since 1st grade and probably needed them younger than that. my mom was horrified when my teacher had to call her aside to express her concern that i couldn't see the board. i made the jump to contacts as young as i could (13). two years ago i had lasik surgery and, although my vision isn't 100% perfect, it's amazing how quickly i've forgotten that i ever wore glasses at all.
4. my first car was a 1978 dark green honda civic that i LOOOOOOVED even though it (quite literally) broke down every two weeks for the 3 years i had it and then finally died, engulfed in a huge, dark plume of exhaust. i sold it at a garage sale for $40 with no keys to even open the doors.
5. although i grew up in canada, i loath the cold, do not ski and don't say "eh" (very often).
6. my favourite spot in the world is exmouth, western australia. we spent about 10 days camped there during our trip around australia in 2005 - picture empty white beaches, coral reef 2 meters off the beach, sea turtles everywhere and teeny tiny sand dollars washed ashore. i loved it so much and sadly thought we probably wouldn't be back for a long time (it's kind of in the middle of nowhere) but we got 2 free flights anywhere in australia with our mortage and are planning a caravan trip from broome to exmouth in october this year. CAN'T. WAIT.
7. i hate being stuck in traffic. i would rather take a longer way home that keeps me moving than sit in a queue of cars, waiting.
i'm not going to tag anyone but i DO love to read all these extra bits about everyone so please feel free to pick up the tag if you haven't done it yet and leave a comment so i can read yours.