Thursday, 5 May 2011

no. 034

introducing the first quilt i have completed in well over a year...

no. 034

this quilt got it's humble beginnings as leftover blocks from two previous quilts, including the one i made for sophie before she was born. i framed the pretty blocks, containing dusty purples, pinks and greys, with scraps of linen and then chopped them (all but one) exactly in half and pieced them together as the frame for the intact center block. the quilting i left really simple: just lines, not straight, not crazy, just pulling the quilt through the walking foot and letting them stray where they may. and then it came time to put a tag on and i decided to tackle yet another project that has been on my mind for ages - quilt labels. i wanted something different than my standard woven onegirl tags - although they add a really professional look, i've long wanted something a bit more personal. so i came up with these...

new quilt labels

they are inkjet printed on natural linen, with the fiber content listed plus space to number the quilt and write the date on which it was completed. the edges are designed to fray, specifically why i chose to use linen (although it turns out it is bloody hard to write on neatly) and should stand up to repeated washings. my printer ink is resin based and water resistant and i've found with a good long heat set from my iron, they hold up really well. mae's fleur has been washed countless times and it's label still looks good as new. i'd actually love to hear from anyone who has one of my toys that has been well loved (christine?) and find out how their labels are looking. i could always use inkjet fabric iron-on sheets to create these labels, too although i don't really like the print quality they give...

no. 034

here's my first quilt label in action. it was hard to write on. after two big fails on the slippery linen, i ended up using masking tape to tape it down to my table and i'm still not super happy with the final writing but i'm sure it's one of those things that will get better with practice. and yes, i've decided to start numbering my quilts, which meant i had to go back through my photos and try to figure out how many quilts i have finished. apparently, thirty three! now thirty four. that seems like such a high number to me, i somehow don't remember making that many quilts. probably because they are just too darn fun.

edited to add: i just had a quick look back and realised my very first quilt was made almost exactly three years ago, on may 2, 2008 - what a strange coincidence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...