Wednesday, 3 December 2008
so in the days before mae was born i started scheming a mobile for the nursery. i finished a bunch of sweet fabric birds from the free spool pattern (except that i left the tails open and frayed the edges instead of sewing them shut because i liked the shape it created) and just had to figure out what i was going to attach them to. fast forward four odd months and we finally hung the mobile on sunday.
i ended up just buying a kikkerland photo mobile to clip the birds into, it was the easiest option and i love the way it adds a bit of an industrial touch.
there are ten clips and i've actually made ten birds but i didn't want it to be too overwhelming so i just used five for now, one bird for two clips. they do tend to get a wee bit tangled though and don't move around as much as i'd like so i think i'm going to rework it early next year and just use one bird per clip with a shorter ribbon to see how that looks and works. i'm just happy it's actually up there and that mae seems to like watching it - it feels so good to finally get this project off of my to do list!