i've been spending a bit of time lately unearthing local thrift shops in my new neighbourhood and surrounding suburbs - i've managed to visit SEVEN all within 5 minutes of my house (2 in walking distance) and i know there are at least three i haven't been to yet. and that's not including the 4 or 5 i know of that are within a 15 minute drive! *love*
it's almost a bit too convenient as i went to pick up a nail gun for shane on saturday morning and, after stopping at 2 thrift shops on the way, managed to come home with:
• a little wooden spice rack ($1),
• a yellow 50's ceramic electric kettle ($10)
• a book ($1.25)
• a wooden tabletop plant stand ($1 (hard to describe but it's lovely - will try to take pics when i find some pots that fit in)
• a solid wood side table ($6)
• a double door wardrobe with lovely bakelite and metal handles ($25) (this is going to be my new fabric storage once shane puts some shelves inside)
• and 4 of these amazing bent ply and metal chairs ($12)...
the chairs are by far the biggest score of the day, they are gorgeous and probably cost someone a bit of cash back in the 50s. i just wish they had taken better care of them as they need a lot of work at the moment (the one pictured is the best of the lot and is actually in not too bad shape aside from rust on the legs). they're going to be a bit of project for shane and i to fix up and we might even need to get our good pal sandy involved with his background knowledge of bent ply.